Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I did it!

I went to an open mic spoken word event sunday. Yes me..at an open mic. Here's how it happened. I took this art class last fall called "Soul Art". It was taught my this sweet lady Elsa Robinson and It was one of the most liberating things i've done in a long time. It's basically art with no boundaries. Two hours of quiet reflection, and basically putting on paper what is in your heart. Fantastic stuff, I loved it! I bumped into Elsa last week at a festival and we got to talking. She told me that her daughter puts on a once a month open mic event for poets in the community and there was an upcoming event on August 19th. So yeah i signed up before my brain could kick in. There's nothing scarier to me than reading my work to a room full of strangers. But I showed up, sat quietly in the corner taking in all the other performers. My heart was pounding the entire time. I have to admit it was difficult to listen to the other poets cause there was this raging battle between my brain and my heart. So I got up the courage and just walked up there and did it. I have to say, I was eerily calm. I just stood there and let the words tumble out, I did a piece called Pandemic, and it was very well recieved. Absolutely loved it! can't wait for the next one!

No comments: