Sunday, September 7, 2008

Edmonton Poetry Festival

I'm doing the edmonton poetry festival this week. It runs from Sept 11 - 13. The first show i'm doing is called Revenge of the Killer Blinks. It's basically 60+ poets with 30 seconds at the mic. "Rapid Fire Poetry" indeed. So at first I was going to do an old piece edited down to 30 seconds. Then I decided to do a piece that played around with the idea of 30 seconds at the mic. And this is what I came up with (Which kinda sounds like a mixture of old poems i've written...but I like it). My second show is on the 13th at the edmonton public library...should be way more relaxed. Check out the schedule here


30 seconds for
War child
To become man
Another skirt
Torn away
Two angry hands
Grabbing and touching
Reveal shame and guilt
Little girl tears stain the earth

20 Seconds
Another child born
To AIDS infected mother
One last breath escapes
Battered body
One more orphan
Joins 50 million

10 Seconds
Tired infant body
Hungry heart stops beating
Malnutrition, Mumps, Malaria

1
billion cries across Africa
For hope,
For peace
For love

No comments: