Thursday, July 10, 2008

Updates!

So some updates on what I've been up to. After seeing the video for the "I am" piece that I did at Legacies back in February, one of the guys from Politic Live asked me to record the poem for their upcoming project entitled "Jali". I jumped at the chance! So I went into the studio to record, I didn't really know what to expect, but they were very welcoming. I had to do a few takes, because I'm thinking to myself...this is something that will stick around for a long time. I wanted it to be perfect. After doing the piece, Oozeela an artist on the Music for Mavericks label, started playing around with some music to accompany the piece. He is a brilliant musician! I am so in love with what he did with it! I just couldn't believe that it was real. Flash back to 2007, me at my first open mic. Now 2008 me in a studio recording? Unbelievable. So I'm sitting and chatting with the guys, and we get into a discussion about misconceptions, black men and black women, the workplace...you name it. Long story short, I ended up writing and recording 2 more poems. One about misconceptions between black men and black women, and the other about being a black female in the workplace. All 3 pieces went really well, and will be interludes on the album...I'm just super excited for the finished product, and to hear what people think of it. I also got to do a photo shoot for pictures of me (yes me!) that'll be included in the album package.

Oh but there's more! One of the guys suggested that I put together a spoken word album. Say what?? Me? huh? Well after I picked myself up off the floor, I thought..no..I can't possibly. What if no one likes it? What if I don't like it? What if it's terrible? The usual fears. Well... then I came to my senses. This is such a huge chance that I've been given, and to not take it would be ridiculous. So I'm going to do it!!! I'll be meeting with him this weekend to discuss grant applications, so that I can get the ball rolling on this. I am just beside myself with shear excitement. I cannot believe it!

No comments: