Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sky high gele, bold and beautiful!

Finally...a moment. This weekend was super busy. My sister got married, and it was just so beautiful. Lots of prayers, dancing, singing, EATING! I almost overdosed on Jollof rice and chicken this weekend! This was the first marriage in my family, so it was all brand new to all of us. Everything went well though...well other than the part were I sat on something and stained my dress just before we walked into the church. I'm walking down the isle thinking "please don't notice, pleaaase don't notice!" And no one did, or they were just lying...who knows. We changed into traditional for the reception, pink ankara dresses with gele . Lets talk about me in my "sky high gele!" What was gele created for, if not to punish women!?? For the engagement ceremony, two nights before the church wedding, I attempted to tie my gele by myself. Many offered to help me, but I, in my stubbornness decided that it was a mountain that I had to climb on my own. Well, I eventually managed to tie it, but not without suffering temporary hearing loss, and severe headaches!! Good times though.

I went into the studio yesterday to record "Mama", the second piece for my grant application. This piece actually got me kinda choked up during recording. This has never happened before. But something about it sounded so organic that I didn't re-record. So let me tell you how I love Oozeela! I am sooo happy that I've chosen him as my producer for this album. He listened to the piece, and literally stole a melody out of my heart and played it on his keyboard! Like that wasn't enough, he decided to add in some of his vocals as well! I'm just so excited to start working on this album! Grant or no grant, I'm doing this thing.

No comments: